Thursday, November 1, 2012

Self-Enquiry made Simple by Bhagavan Ramana

Supremely Peaceful and Happy Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi enjoying His True Self
** இனிது இனிது ஏகாந்தம் இனிது **
** எதையும் நினையாமல் சும்மா இருப்பதே சுகம் பரம சுகம் **

Day by Day with Bhagavan, 28th June 1946
In the afternoon Khanna's wife appealed to Bhagavan in writing: "I am not learned in the Scriptures and I find the method of Self-enquiry too hard for me. I am a woman with seven children and a lot of household cares, and it leaves me little time for meditation. I request Bhagavan to give me some simpler and easier method.''

Bhagavan: No learning or knowledge of Scriptures is necessary to know the Self, as no man requires a mirror to see himself. All knowledge is required only to be given up eventually as not Self. Nor is household work or cares with children necessarily an obstacle. If you can do nothing more, at least continue saying 'I, I' to yourself mentally all the time, as advised in 'Who am I?', whatever work you may be doing and whether you are sitting, standing or walking. 'I' is the name of God. It is the first and greatest of all mantras. Even OM is second to it.

*****

Day by Day with Bhagavan, 8th May 1946
If you find the vichara marga [the path of self-enquiry] too hard, you can go on repeating 'I', 'I', and that will lead you to same goal. There is no harm in using 'I' as a mantra. It is the first name of God.

Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, talk no. 591
Question: How does the name ['I'] help realisation?

Bhagavan: The original name is always going on, spontaneously, without any effort on the part of the individual. The name is aham, 'I'. When it becomes manifest it manifests as ahamkara - the ego. The oral repetition of nama leads one to mental repetition which finally resolves itself into the eternal vibration.

*****

A Humble Personal Note:
One could also repeat "I am Siva" or "I am Sakthi" or "I am Narayana" (or famously "I am Brahman") etc., with steadfast devotion and could eventually realize the qualities of their Personal God/Ishwara including Brahma Jnana/Self-Realization. Such practice is also easily observed in the Indian Spiritual Sadhana scene down the ages.

*****

A Good link on this Subject. Click here.

*****

1 comment:

  1. Self-Inquiry Made Simple
    02 August 2018 | Nirmala | Self-Inquiry
    Nirmala - Nondual Spiritual Mentor and Teacher
    Source: https://endless-satsang.com/self-inquiry-made-simple

    Someone asked about how to do self-inquiry, and here is how I responded:

    Self inquiry does not need to be complicated. Just simply sense your self and do not worry about inside or outside or going deeper. Sense that you exist right now, and then stay with that sense of "I" or "me". But do not worry about whether it is the right way of sensing your self. Simply sense your self just as you are right now. Once you sense your self just as you are right now, simply stay with that sense of your self. If a thought or feeling arises, notice who is having the thought or feeling. Obviously "I" am having the thought or feeling. And so then you just return to staying with that sense of "I"

    That is all you need to do to practice self enquiry. Just rest while sensing your self. Everything else is up to divine grace, and it is taking good care of you.

    ReplyDelete